March 3, 2023
Written by Highlyte
Ever feel like you're herding cats when trying to get your team on the same page about your brand's purpose, values, and voice?
We get it - creating a solid brand identity is no easy feat. But fear not; we've got your back with these six kick-ass exercises to help you and your team get your branding game on point.
A strong brand identity is crucial to stand out from the pack and connect with your ideal audience. But let's face it; when you hire strong-minded A-players who are not shy of expressing their opinions, it can feel a little exhausting to say the least. That's where these exercises come in - they'll help you develop a common language and clear vision for your brand, making decisions around content, visuals, and marketing compliance a breeze.
But before we dive in, you should know it's essential to do these exercises before you're up against a deadline, like launching a new product or planning a marketing campaign.
So get your squad together - and we mean everyone with a say in your brand identity. Don't forget your Decider, the one who holds the keys to your brand's kingdom.
And if you can, bring in a customer expert to give their two cents on your brand's voice.
Let's get started and turn your brand identity into a sleek powerhouse that'll attract your audience like a magnet.
Ready to get your crystal ball out and predict your company's future? Let's do this! Grab some markers and head over to the whiteboard. Draw a timeline with some labels of 5, 10, 15, and 20 years from now.
1. It's time to put your futuristic thinking cap on and predict what your company will be up to at each milestone. Here's how we play:
2. Pen down your boldest predictions for all four dates.
3. As the facilitator jots them down, read your guesses one by one. No bickering or debating allowed; just sit back and soak in the visionary ideas.
4. It's time to choose your favourite predictions secretly. After that, reveal your picks and watch as the facilitator tallies them.
5. Now, it's time for the real fun to begin. You have five minutes to debate and defend your choices (set a timer!).
6. Finally, the Decider chooses the most exciting prediction for each date. It's a showdown of epic proportions, and only the most creative ideas will survive.
7. Snap a photo of the board and add it to your new Brand Guide slide deck.
Why do this exercise? It's not about sticking to the roadmap; it's about firing up your imagination and picturing the future of your brand with the whole team. Let's ensure your brand stays ahead of the game, relevant, and vibrant for many years to come!
2. What, How, Why (30 minutes)
Get ready to dive into the Golden Circle with Simon Sinek - the man with a TED talk so good it's racked up a jaw-dropping 61 million views! His philosophy is simple: to make customers swoon over your brand, you need to know why you're in business and communicate that message clearly. A strong sense of purpose sets you apart from the competition and resonates with your customers on a deeper level. Take Apple, Nike, and Patagonia, for instance; their success comes from knowing their "why."
Now, we know some companies might argue that making money is their only motivation, and sure, they might be successful, but if you're reading this, you likely want more for your brand than just financial gain. And that's where Sinek's Golden Circle comes in; it's your shortcut to a stronger brand.
Not only will this exercise help you nail your brand's purpose, but it's also a total morale booster. The motivation is infectious when you and your team are united by a clear sense of why you're in business!
Let's get cracking!